District Goals and Objectives 2021-2022
The West Islip Community is committed to excellence in education through the establishment of an academic, vocational and social environment in which all children can learn and succeed. Our students will be provided the opportunity to develop their self-esteem and a respect for others while acquiring the knowledge, skills and attitudes to become responsible citizens in a rapidly changing world. Our goal is to
have students think in global terms and develop cultural sensitivity and an international orientation. We seek to instill in our students the ability to share their commonalities, celebrate their differences, and appreciate that learning is a lifelong process.
Update policies and protocols as required by law and Commissioner's Regulations and NYSSBA recommendations.
Provide first year Board trustee with information and training related to the business, finance and advocacy functions of the school district.
- Create a fiscally responsible and efficient budget that maintains and enhances the integrity of all programs in a manner that is sensitive to the financial constraints of stakeholders.
- Respond to pandemic and school safety and security-related matters as prescribed by federal, state and local requirements.
Partner with community groups and stakeholders to support and enhance school programs.
Utilize the district website, Facebook page and other social media to celebrate acts of generosity, kindness, and the accomplishments of students and staff.
- Review practices to ensure all school sites offer a welcoming and inclusive environment that fosters respect and compassion for all.
III. INSTRUCTIONAL PROGRAM
- Provide professional development in the areas of literacy, mindfulness, and physical and mental health and wellness.
- Ensure that a robust curriculum in the areas of social-emotional and mental health and wellness is delivered to every student.
- Expand authentic literacy opportunities to encourage students to engage n reading and writing activities that occur outside of the classroom setting and provide foundational skills for reading.
- Promote equity, diversity, and inclusion in the school environment by engaging in activities that demonstrate that all students are actively included and valued and that their unique learning needs are met, thus preparing them to live in an inclusive, global community and world.
- Evaluate district needs and identify priority items to fund through the capital reserve.
Convene a community committee that will make a recommendation about the future of the Masera Elementary School property.
- Conduct a safety audit to ensure that school sites, activities, and events are safe for students, staff, and visitors.
- Update the district's technology plan to ensure a strategic vision, goals and actions that support student achievement and engagement through the seamless integration of technology into teaching and learning.
Provide access to relevant and rigorous professional development to ensure educators and leaders are proficient in the integration of learning technologies.
- Provide learning opportunities for parents in the use of district technology and applications.